- Used our lovely and somewhat impractical old mandolin to shred 1.70 kilograms of cabbage.
- Added 160 grams of carrot
- To that, 27 grams of salt
- 2 teaspoons of peppercorns
- 3 small bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of celery seeds
Massage the salt into the cabbage and other ingredients, and let sit for a couple of hours to draw out the water, giving it the occasional turn and massage all the while.
Stuffed it all into my lovely fermenting crock from In Ferment and waited 14 days.
Voilà, sauerkraut! But, I've no idea how Garden Betty can maintain the bright color of those carrots after a long fermentation. Mine was truly ruby kraut throughout.